This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Patch to change warn_write_strings to flag_const_strings
- To: Jason Merrill <jason at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: Patch to change warn_write_strings to flag_const_strings
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:45:28 -0700
- cc: egcs-patches at cygnus dot com, law at cygnus dot com
For C++, string constants are `const char' by default, so I'd like to
change the flag that controls this behavior in c-common.c, and in any case
it seems odd to control semantics with a warn_* flag. What do you think?
I agree, but it seems just as odd to have a -W option set a flag_* variable,
so I don't see that we have gained much unless you plan to do something else
like add a new -f option or change documentation.
The changes to TREE_READONLY/TREE_CONSTANT in combine_strings look like real
bugs that we need regardless of what we do with warn_write_strings.