Re: invalid 'asm': invalid operand for code 'H'

On 09/07/18 11:49, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 5:51 AM, Richard Earnshaw (lists)
> <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com> wrote:

>>> The L and H modifiers are for dealing with 64-bit /register/ quantities
>>> where you need two registers to hold the entire value.  Your example
>>> only has a single 32-bit value.  You don't need qualifiers in this case.
>>>  For an immediate like this, you'll have to hand-code the reduction into
>>> the appropriate fields, either in the operands you pass to the ASM or
>>> within the ASM expansion itself.  Something like:
>>>
>>> asm volatile ("movw %0, %1;movt %0, %2": "=r"(a) : "i"(imm & 0xffff),
>>> "i" (imm & 0xffff0000));
>>>
>> Correction.  Looking at the source code, the L modifier only appears to
>> apply to 32-bit integer immediate values, the H modifier only appears to
>> apply  to 64-bit registers.
>>
>> So the guide is wrong for both cases, but in different ways.  At least
>> when it comes to GCC.
>>
>> Which document are you referring to?
>
> Thanks Richard.
>
> The guide I was using is
> http://www.iarsys.co.jp/download/LMS2/arm/7304/ewarm7304doc/arm/doc/EWARM_DevelopmentGuide.ENU.pdf
> (p.147).
>
> Jeff

Just for the record, this is documentation for the IAR toolchain.  They
have adopted the basic GCC syntax, but it would appear that they've then
extended the API beyond that which GCC implements.  There's no guarantee
that anything written here will be compatible with GCC.

So, as they say, your mileage may vary.

R.