-O1 runtime difference between gcc and clang

Hi,

The binary gotten via clang's `-O1` runs much slower (3x) than that gotten
via GCC's `-O1`.

Reproducible with:

https://github.com/m-chaturvedi/test_valgrind_slowdown

We are seeing this difference between gcc and clang at other places as well.

The `-O0` and `-O2` times are comparable, however.   Are there some compile
time flags one could add to make the `-O1` times comparable?

I asked this question at LLVM, but they don't seem too interested, so I was
wondering if someone could help me here.
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-May/123708.html

Thank you,
Mmanu