Re: GCC 8 released but not successful ?

On 2018-04-29 14:47 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> I think we still need a human to look over the results and then
> determine to what degree the results are reasonably clean or just
> another nightmare of fails in gfortran and g++ and go etc etc.
>
> Example of a nightmare :
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2018-04/msg01589.html
>
> Here is a release thing of beauty :
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2018-04/msg01455.html
>
> I know that the testsuite for Perl tends to kick out a few lines at the
> bottom that claim 99.8% passed or similar. The testsuite in gcc just
> dumps out numbers that may leave one to always ask "why would anyone
> trust this thing?"
>
>                  === g++ Summary ===
>
> # of expected passes            105237
> # of unexpected failures        105
> # of expected failures          395
> # of unsupported tests          4600
>
> So what is that ?  Good?  Disaster?   About 105 unexpected failures
> means C++ can not be trusted on this platform?  I am never too sure as
> there here never been a perfect result and there may never be.  An
> automated test platform would have to report the above as :
>
> rhel74$ echo "4k 1 105 105237 105 395 4600 +++ / - 100 * pq" | dc
> 99.9100
>
> So pretty darn clean right?  However a 0.09% failure in the wrong place
> would be a catastrophic failure for code that needs to run inside a
> Medtronic heart implant or some flight control systems or turbo fan fuel
> pump sensors.  Those things are most likely hand coded assembly and
> tested to death.  No pun intended.

AFAIK on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, I think we can only ignore some FAILs in
gcc.dg/guality.  They use GDB and the result (debugger output) tends to
be wrong with optimization.  Other tests should not FAIL.

> Anyways, I was just wondering where GCC 8.1 is and it seems to be RSN.

My result was sent:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2018-05/msg00374.html

I don't have platforms other than x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (though I may buy
a mips64 in 2019).

And you can search for "8.1.0" here:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/
--