Re: Build fail for 7.3.0 with in-tree binutils

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25 January 2018 at 18:47, Matt Godbolt wrote:
> > Thanks! I'll try 2.29 and see if that does the trick!
> >
> > In the spirit of trying to improve my process: How might one relocate a
> GCC?
> > My understanding was that once paths had been "baked in" with `--prefix`
> > they were set in stone.
>
> Nope, quite the opposite. GCC uses no absolute paths except for system
> dirs like /usr/include and /usr/lib (and they can be re-configured, or
> avoided altogether with a sysroot).
>
> > I'd love to use a more traditional installation
> > process and then "relocate" once it's moved to the ultimate destination?
>
> Moving it to the ultimate destination *is* the relocation, there's
> nothing else needed.
>
> [snip]

I see, that's what I'm already doing[1]. But without an in-tree binutils,
the binutils doesn't come along for the ride :) I'll combine an out-of-tree
binutils with the compiler, and then have two packages within my deployment
system to track both binutils and the compiler and ensure they find each
other.

Thanks for your patience, I'm glad I wasn't too far off piste!

Cheers, Matt

[1]
https://github.com/mattgodbolt/compiler-explorer-image/blob/master/gcc/build/build.sh#L140