Re: Have GCC uses NASM as the assembler?

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 December 2017 at 22:50, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>>> Did you follow the recommendations at
>>> https://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#ix86-x-solaris210 ?
>>> "It is recommended that you configure GCC to use the GNU assembler"
>>
>> Thanks Mark.
>>
>> No, we did not follow it. I was not aware it existed.
>>
>> So the problem becomes, how do we tell GCC to use /usr/gnu/bin/as when
>> it is driving the build process.
>
> That's answered at the link above.
>
> "To use GNU as, configure with the options --with-gnu-as
> --with-as=/usr/sfw/bin/gas. It may be necessary to configure with
> --without-gnu-ld --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld to guarantee use of Sun
> ld."

Thanks. Its kind of a moot point because the assembler is down level.
It could not assemble SHA even if we could somehow point GCC to it.

But the suggested solution does not scale. We cannot ask thousands of
users to build a compiler. That's why we wanted to ask GCC to use a
different assembler in one place.

Jeff