Re: building GCC - please check method, and results so far over multiple platforms

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 11:41 +0200, Toebs Douglass wrote:
> On 10/04/17 11:35, Brian Drummond wrote:
> >
> > It won't use the latest and greatest version of mpfr etc for each
> > compiler release, but it'll use the version that most builds of
> > that
> > release were built with, and keep you out of the weeds covering
> > rarely
> > trodden paths.
>
> Hmm.  That is interesting.  Is it then that GCC builds *normally* use
> the oldest possible working version of the dependency libraries?

Unlikely to be the oldest possible! But proven and stable versions.

> Aren't they missing out on improvements in those libraries, by doing
> so?

I don't know about improvements, but (judging from my experience before
I found that script; it's much better publicised nowadays) they are
missing out on a lot of unexpected "features" and interactions with
newer releases.

If Jonathan endorses that script, that's a pretty strong recommendation
too.

-- Brian