Re: Relocation avoidance for function pointers

On 11/05/2016 01:37 AM, Jeff Law wrote:

Quite a few targets support symbol differences in relocations, as long
as they are contained within the same module.  So even if some
relaxation is going on, function pointer differences would still work.

Really?  When I looked at this many years ago, none did.  Hacking it for
the PA (which had proper reloc support for difference of symbols) was
painful.

Uh-oh. Someone mentioned internally that there are other targets now which allow this. I tried to generate some object files which use this latitude, but I failed, mainly because I couldn't GCC to emit any instructions whose width changed after linking.

In any case, I still think this feature is sufficiently useful to expose it to programmers even if it is not completely portable.

Florian