Re: As-if Rule (was: ARMv8, GCC 4.9 and necessary code optimized away)

>> I'm not sure I would agree. GCC needs to know intent (q.v.),
>
> No, it does not.  It needs to follow the language specification:
> intent is entirely in the head of the programmer, and they'd
> better learn that specification.
>
>> Sorry to sound argumentative. I'm frustrated when a correct program is
>> turned into a misbehaving program :)
>
> It's not a correct program.

Please forgive my ignorance... How, exactly, is it not a correct
program? For the program to be ill-formed, it would have to fall into
one of the many undefined behavior traps. As far as I know, there's no
UB.

And how is removing code and causing a SIGILL maintaining the
observable behavior required by the as-if rule? The program does not
crash a -O0. The program does not crash at -O2 when the code in
question is present. The program crashes when the code is removed.

Nearly everyone seems to realize the code is needed, and removing it
does _not_ produce an equivalent program.

Jeff