Surprising "parse error in template argument list"

The following code:

	template<class Tp, int Nm> inline Tp* end(Tp (&arr)[Nm]) { return arr + Nm; }

	struct S { int end; };
	bool negative(const S& s) { return s.end < 0; }

	template <typename T> bool tnegative(const T& t) { return t.end < 0; }

produces a parse error misrecognising the final line's "end < 0" as a template:

end3.cpp: In function ‘bool tnegative(const T&)’:
end3.cpp:6:61: error: parse error in template argument list
 template <typename T> bool tnegative(const T& t) { return t.end < 0; }
                                                             ^~~~~~~

This message is from current trunk GCC, but similar error messages are produced by GCC 4.4 and 5.1.

It seems clear to me that "t.end < 0" isn't supposed to be any kind of template invocation, so I was surprised by this message.  Is there some standardese that I've missed that requires this to be parsed like this in a template function?  Or is this a G++ parser bug?  (I did a brief bugzilla search, but nothing similar leapt out at me.)

(This is distilled down from https://bugs.debian.org/812294 in which code has an "end" field and is "using namespace std", and it appears that with GCC 6's C++14-by-default the field is colliding with some recentish std::end().  So various workarounds are available, probably starting with not using namespace std!)

Thanks,

    John