Re: arm gcc: info about branches on svn and git

On 15 December 2015 at 15:01, Massimiliano Cialdi <cialdi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> browsing through git and svn repositories I think I understand that
>>> the actual repository is svn and git repository  is built with
>>> git-svn, is that right?
>>
>> Yes.
> The ARM/embedded-*gcc branches are hosted only on svn, I cannot find
> it on git, is that right?

Maybe. Not all branches are in the Git mirror, especially ones that
are in sub-directories in svn.

You can still use git-svn to fetch them from the svn server if you
configure it appropriately.

>> The branch is documented at https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html#distrobranches
> Here it is told "Very occasionally these branches will hold patches
> that are waiting for trunk acceptance". I wonder why new feature, bug
> fixes and enhancement aren't regularly submitted for trunk acceptance.

It doesn't say that.

It says that some patches are *waiting* to be accepted, not that they
were not submitted.

I don't know anything about the branch, but the way I read the docs
the branch *might* have some arm-specific features that were added on
trunk but not backported to the official gcc-4_9-branch. It *might*
also have some arm-specific patches that were added to the branch and
haven't been added to trunk yet.

So the patches on the branch are either already on trunk or have been
proposed for the trunk.

> Does this means that many feature will never be integrated in trunk?

It says "very occasionally" so I doubt there are "many features".

If you really want to know then you can compare the branches and find
out for yourself.