Re: Error Building GCC as PIE

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Cyd Haselton <chaselton@gmail.com> wrote:
> While researching how to cross-compile for PIE, I discovered my theory was based on a faulty premise: that PIE binaries will only run on Android 5.0.

As far as I know, this is true. Android 5.0 requires PIE. From
"Security Enhancements in Android 5.0"
(https://source.android.com/devices/tech/security/enhancements/enhancements50.html):

    Non-PIE linker support removed. Android now requires all
    dynamically linked executables to support PIE (position
    independent executables). This enhances Androidâs address
    space layout randomization (ASLR) implementation.

Jeff