Re: Downloading a C++ compiler

On 21 April 2015 at 01:14, John Kreutzberg wrote:
> I would like to download a C++ compiler onto my iMac computer, which has the latest version of the Yosemite operating system.  How might I do this?  Can you guide me to make this happen?  Thank you for your help, John

Before you can install GCC you need to install the Xcode app, via the
app store, which includes the assembler and linker for OS X. These are
necessary for any compiler to work. Xcode includes two C++ compilers,
the Clang compiler and also an ancient version of GCC.

To install a more modern version of GCC you can either compiler it
yourself or use one of several packaging systems such as MacPorts.
These instructions for installing GCC via MacPorts look useful:
http://www.ficksworkshop.com/blog/14-coding/65-installing-gcc-on-mac