Expanding GOT table with xgot options fails

Hello.

We are working on development of the application for mips32
architecture and encountered some difficulties with linkage.
Our final executable binary file links with all object files and
libraries statically, which produces a large (over 64k) .got table and
leads to the error:
relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_CALL16 against <symbol>
We tried to use both -mxgot and -Wa,-xgot compiler options while
building our object files, with no success. Linker -xgot option has no
effect too, it seems. So the question is: is there any way to compile
and link statically an executable binary file for mips32 architecture
with large .got table using gcc 3.4.4 and binutils 2.15? We will be
grateful for any help in this matter, because it seems like a
frequently encountered issue
(https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2009-10/msg00146.html).

Best regards, Alex.