Re: w32api: configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

> > For the "config.guess" file, yes it was supposed to be there because in w32api-3.17 this file was present.
> > In w32api-4.0.3.1, it is absent.
> > This file is useful to guess my platform:
> > $ ./config.guess
> > i686-pc-linux-gnu
> > So, instead of calling this config.guess script, I can replace it by the "i686-pc-linux-gnu" string.
>
> It's used by configure to guess you platform if you don't tell it, so
> using the script to tell configure is just pointless, you're setting
> the value to what will be guessed anyway.
>
> Don't use the --build option, and configure will guess it for you (by
> calling build.aux/config,guess ... apparently you didn't look very
> hard for the file).
>
> > It is just strange that this file is missing.
>
> It's just moved.
>
> Stop using --build=`config.guess` because it's pointless, and the
> problem goes away.
>
> > For the "--disable-nls" option it is because I don't need Native Language Support for this compiler.
> > This option was available for w32api-3.17 but seems to be absent from the w32api-4.0.3.1 release.
>
> But w32api is not the compiler. If you don't want NLS in the compiler,
> pass --disable-nls to the compiler, you don't need to pass it to other
> things. So you can just stop using that option too.
>
> > Yes, I am aware that this is a problem of w32api (which is part of the mingw project).
> > This mailing-list is for discussions about gcc.
> > On the mailing-list of mingw, I have already asked, and there is a lack of responses so I try here.
> > I am using gcc-4.9.1 to build my cross-compiler as you can see above, so we can say that this discussion is not completely out of the mailing-list focus.
>
> Just because you use GCC to compile some code doesn't make this list
> the right place to ask about that code.
>

> > I am wondering why my C compiler cannot create executables.
> > I have compiled it with these options:
> > $ ../gcc-4.9.1/configure --prefix=/usr --target=i686-pc-mingw32 --disable-shared --enable-languages=c --disable-nls
>
> Look in the config.log file, it will show why it failed.
>
> > I have always used these options for building my cross-compiler.
> > Today, I try with a new version of gcc and it is a failure.
>
> Because you used a different version of w32api, it has nothing to do
> with the new GCC.
>
> > Instead of downgrading, I would like to understand better why it does not work with the latest gcc, binutils, w32api and mingwrt.
> > If anyone has an idea about that, please tell me.
>
> The w32api package changed, but that's nothing to do with GCC.

Yes, you have totally right: That's nothing to do with gcc.
In fact, that was a problem occurring on the last w32api-4.0.3.1 tarball.
If I keep the old one (w32api-3.17), it works.
So, no problem to build a cross-compiler using:
- binutils-2.24.51
- gcc-4.9.1
- mingwrt-3.20.2
- w32api-3.17

Thanks for the support (and sorry for the wrong mailing-list).