Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new

On 5 August 2014 17:54, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
> Yes I did that before, I removed the gcc and when I tried to build a
> new gcc from source it crashed complaining that no C compiler is
> present. Isn't it weird that installation of C compiler needs C
> compiler as a pre-requisite.?

You don't need a compiler to install a C compiler, you need a compiler
to *compile* a C compiler, just like you need a compiler to compile
any program.

If you just want to install gcc you use 'yum' or 'rpm' to do that,
instead of compiling it yourself.

If you want to compile gcc, obviously you need a compiler of some kind.

It might seem weird but it's not, it's quite normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_%28compilers%29