Re: Documentation of __sync builtins unclear on external function callback behavior

On 16/07/14 23:01, Johan Tibell wrote:
> The documentation of the __sync atomic builtins [1] state that
>
>> Not all operations are supported by all target processors. If a
>> particular operation cannot be implemented on the target processor,
>> a warning is generated and a call an external function is
>> generated. The external function carries the same name as the
>> built-in version, with an additional suffix â_nâ where n is the
>> size of the data type.
>
> I initial read this as a call to some function *defined by GCC* is
> being emitted, but I now realize that this can be read as "the caller
> is supposed to have defined such a fallback function". Which reading
> is correct?

The latter.  Hwever, in some cases in may not even be possible: the
hardware may be incapable of doing it.

> I have some code that fails to compile on i386 with the error
>
>     /usr/home/ghc-builder/work/builder/tempbuild/build/libraries/ghc-prim/dist-install/build/libHSghc-prim-0.3.1.0-ghc7.9.20140716.so:
> undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_8'
>
> so I guess that means that GCC is not defining these external fallback
> functions?

My guess is that you're building for an x86 that can't do it.
-march=i586 ought to work.  i386 won't.

Andrew.