Re: Gcc inline assembly for the not so popular chips(ia64, alpha, powerpc))

On 05/15/2014 11:55 AM, Seima Rao wrote:

     I want to do inline assembly for the archs listed below
    in descending priorities:

     ia64, alpha, powerpc.

    I know x86 inline assembly programming from the
    docs available online.

As far as GCC is concerned, inline assembly is just a fancy string substitution mechanism. The constraints are machine-dependent, but documented in the GCC manual.

Once you have architecture and ABI documentation for the platforms you are interested in, it should be relatively straightforward to translate this information into inline assembly for specific tasks. These manuals are not publicly available for all platforms. They depend on the CPU architectureâia64 on Windows is quite different from ia64 on GNU/Linux or on OpenVMS, I assume.