Re: x86 gcc lacks simple optimization

On 12/06/13 07:17, Richard Biener wrote:
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Konstantin Vladimirov
<konstantin.vladimirov@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Richard, I tried to add LSHIFT_EXPR case to tree-scalar-evolution.c
and now it yields code like (x86 again):

.L5:
movzbl 4(%esi,%eax,4), %edx
movb %dl, 4(%ebx,%eax,4)
addl $1, %eax
cmpl %ecx, %eax
jne .L5

So, excessive lea is gone. It is great, thank you so much. But I
wonder what else can I do to move add upper to simplify memory
accesses (I am guessing, this is some arithmetical re-associations,
still not sure where to look). For architecture, I am working on, it
is important. What would you advise?

You need to look at IVOPTs and how it arrives at the choice of
induction variables.
Konstantin,

You might want to work will Ben Cheng from ARM; he's already poking in this code and may have some ideas.

jeff