Re: Mixed line endings(DOS/Unix) in the source file

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Andrey Smirnov
<andrey.smirnov@synapse.com> wrote:

> I recently stumbled upon what for me was surprising behavior of GCC. I
> was writing some code on my Linux machine and was using data from a
> data dump text file that had DOS line endings. As a commentary to one
> of my functions I copied an excerpt from the dump file and
> inadvertently added some DOS line endings to my source file. So what I
> discovered is that, after that, GCC would output incorrect diagnostic
> information in which it would think that an error/warning was present
> several lines below its actual location.
>
> The following example(^M denotes DOS line ending) on gcc-4.8.0
> compiled with: "gcc test.c -o test.o"
>
> struct a {
>         int c;
>         void (*f) (void);
> };
>
> void foo (void)
> {
>         /* ^M */
> }
>
> struct a A = {
>         .c = foo,
>         .f = foo,
> };
>
> would cause GCC to output:
>
> test.c:14:9: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer
> without a cast [enabled by default]
>          .f = foo,
>          ^
>
> whereas with ^M removed it would say:
>
> test.c:13:9: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer
> without a cast [enabled by default]
>          .c = foo,
>          ^
>
> Is this an expected behavior that I was not aware due to my ignorance?

GCC treats a bare \r in a program as though it were an old MacOS file,
where \r ends a line.  So I think this is simply a disagreement
between what you expect and what GCC expects.

I don't think there is any right answer here.

Ian