Re: OpenMP 4.0

On 08/03/2013 12:26 PM, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question, but I
haven't found any mailing list on the GOMP webpage.
The OpenMP 4.0 specifications were launched ten days ago. This new
standard includes several interesting characteristics as SIMD and
accelerators directives and error handling facilities. Is planned to
add this new version of OpenMP to libgomp and, then, to GCC 4.9?

Cheers
Intel OpenMP library supports a fair part of this, but I know of no documentation which says how much (a bit more in pre-release 14.0 than in released 13.1). Likewise, I have found no documentation on how much of OpenMP 3.1 is supported by libgomp or libiomp5. gcc testsuite seems more comprehensive in testing under gfortran than under gcc. OpenMP 4.0 simd facilities are related to Cilk(tm) Plus pragmas, for which there is a gcc branch on git (although I haven't figured out that stuff). OpenMP feature support query seems to be an all or nothing relationship with each OpenMP update, according to the date code in the _OPENMP macro. By this standard, it will be at least 2 years before we could see a compiler legitimately claiming OpenMP 4.0. For example, I know of no one planning to implement user defined reduction. Some talk about proposing a specific standard on indexed min/max before deciding about user defined reductions. Among my ulterior motives for asking is my attempt to write a book centered on HPC development topics.

--
Tim Prince