Re: Bootstrap error

On 6 May 2013 18:09, Douglas B. Staple wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm getting bootstrap errors while trying to install GCC and could use some
> help.  I'm trying to compile my own copy of GCC from source, in my home
> directory on a shared system (cluster).  The cluster has GCC 4.4.3 that I'm
> using to bootstrap the compilation. I wrote this little script to show what
> I'm doing and to help in debugging:
>
> # Installation parameters
> gccver=4.8.0
> gmpver=5.1.1
> mpcver=1.0.1
> mpfrver=3.1.2
> prefix=$HOME/local
> langs=c,c++
>
> # Download source
> wget ftp://gnu.mirror.iweb.com/gnu/gcc/gcc-${gccver}/gcc-${gccver}.tar.gz
> wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-${gmpver}.tar.bz2
> wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mpc/mpc-${mpcver}.tar.gz
> wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mpfr/mpfr-${mpfrver}.tar.gz
>
> # Unpack source
> tar -xzvf gcc-${gccver}.tar.gz
> tar -xjvf gmp-${gmpver}.tar.bz2
> tar -xzvf mpc-${mpcver}.tar.gz
> tar -xzvf mpfr-${mpfrver}.tar.gz
>
> # Move dependency source directories into gcc source directory
> mv gmp-${gmpver} gcc-${gccver}/gmp
> mv mpc-${mpcver} gcc-${gccver}/mpc
> mv mpfr-${mpfrver} gcc-${gccver}/mpfr
>
> # create a build directory and change to it
> mkdir objdir
> pushd objdir
>
> # configure, make, check, and install gcc:
> ../gcc-${gccver}/configure --prefix=${prefix} --enable-languages=${langs}
> make -j 16
> make install
>
> # return to the original directory
> popd
>
> The above fails during 'make' with the error: "Bootstrap comparison
> failure!"  I've attached the last few pages of output as error.txt. If
> anyone has any suggestions then I'd be really happy to hear them.  Also, let
> me know what other information I can provide that would be relevant.

Your procedure looks fine, I'm not sure why you get the bootstrap
comparison errors.

Does objdir definitely not exist before you start?

Have you tried without -j16 ?  It certainly should work with parallel
builds, but it could be worth checking that there isn't some problem
caused by that in your environment.