Re: gfortran question about optional subroutine arguments

Mark Hounschell wrote:
When I use -std=f95 this fortran77 code will not compile.

Well, then the code is not a valid Fortran 77 code* but uses some vendor extension; using vendor extensions is very common with old so-called "Fortran 77" code. (* valid = valid according to the Fortran 77 standard, cf. http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranStandards ) Using -std=gnu and -std=legacy, gfortran enables support for some more or less common vendor extensions.

What I meant before is that using -std=gnu (the default) doesn't disable the support for features which are in -std=f2003. Similarly for -std=legacy, which should also add only new features without disabling others.

Using the default "gnu" mostly just lots of warnings show up. Is "if(present(arg2)) arg2 = 0" available when using gnu?

Yes, it is definitely available with both -std=gnu and -std=legacy. However, it requires you declare the dummy argument as OPTIONAL.

Maybe my warnings can be suppressed with other switches.

Well, using -std=gnu or -std=legacy to silence those warnings is fine; as written, they essentially just allow more features, which should usually not break things.

Hmm, I have not seen the ",)" syntax before. I assume that that is some
vendor extension, where the compiler does something - or a typo and it
should be "arg1)" without ",".

No, the "," is how this old compiler knows I'm not passing that arg. The same could be done as call (arg1,,arg3)

Indicating arg2 was not passed. Also, the very last arg can always be left out without using the ",".

Seems as if this is a vendor extension, which only few compilers support. I just tried the compilers of PGI, PathScale, NAG, SUN, Cray, and Intel - and only Intel's ifort seems to support this extension.

And, doing some digging, I also found out that GCC's g77 supports this feature: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/g77/Ugly-Null-Arguments.html (g77 is the predecessor of gfortran. gfortran was written from scratch to support Fortran 90+. It has most but not not all legacy features of g77. [On the other hand, it has some vendor extensions which g77 does not have.])

Thus, one option would be to use GCC 3.4.6's g77. However, GCC 3.x and g77 are no longer supported and g77 also only supports very few Fortran 90 features. Thus, I think it would be best to change the code to be fully Fortran conform.

Actually, I wonder how ifort and g77 pass those 'null arguments'; or rather, how to use then in the called procedure. Something PRESENT() does not seem to exist. g77's documentation does not tell this (but one can look at the source code) and Intel's documentation does not mention this feature.

Regarding gfortran: In principle, one could add support for null arguments; however, given that they seem to be only in few old codes, I don't think that this has a high priority.

Tobias