Re: missing xgcc input in compiling gcc 4.7.0

On 27 February 2013 06:40, niuzeta wrote:
> .
> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
> `/home/niuzeta/works/gcc-4.7/build/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':
> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
>

> so apparently it couldn't compute suffix of object files and could not
> compile.
> A  gcc faq <http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix>   has a section
> for this issue. It directed me to look at the config.log file at the path.
> so I looked at it.
>
> the first error happens as follows, now becoming relevant to the subject:

No, this is irrelevant, as the FAQ says:
"There might be several test programs that failed during the
configuration, but some of these failures are non-critical. Check for
the *last* error entry in the file."

> the error message later says it failed to find shared object file
> libppl_c.so, but it is indeed in /usr/local/libs. I think the error on
> libppl_c is misleading because xgcc argument failed first and I think it
> caused the later error to occur.

Please reread the FAQ, which explains exactly this issue. The shared
library is not in the runtime linker's search path. You need to build
PPL without shared libs or use one of the methods listed at
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/using_dynamic_or_shared.html#manual.intro.using.linkage.dynamic
to tell the runtime linker how to find the library.

See also http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC