GCC assembler directive details

Hi
I am interested to get the details of some assembly directives like .type
and .scl.
My work involves parsing of the assembly code compiled by gcc. Manually I
figured that the values associated with .type directive is unique for each
data-type and function-type.
e.g: int is .type 0x4 ; char is .type 0x2

I did goggle to find such details but no luck. Can anyone refer me to the
proper documentation where I can find such details about .type and .scl.

-Mohan