why is g++ relocation error linking only showing when listing objects explicitly?

Hello,

I think this question belongs here and not on a general Unix mailing list, but I am not sure, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place.

I am getting the error

"relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_PLTREL24 against symbol ..."

when using g++ to link about 2300 .o files into a single library, total size about 29MB, and -mlongcall does not help.

Curiously, this only happens when listing the files explicitly.   That is:

This doesn't work (24-bit relocation error)

>g++ -fPIC `<command to list object files>`

However, this works correctly (!!!???)

>echo `<the same command to list object files>` | xargs g++ -fPIC

What is going on here??

Thank you for any insight.

Mark