compact frame descriptions incompatible with DWARF2 .eh_frame

Hello,

I'm running a mips-linux-gnu system, using
gcc version 4.6.3 (Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2012.03-63)

I'm compiling a large code base that comes with dozens of
pre-compiled static libraries.

For debugging purposes, I'm trying to replace one of these
pre-compiled libraries with a version compiled on my system
with optimizations disabled, and debugging symbols enabled.

However, the project no longer links, and bombs out with

mips-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
compact frame descriptions incompatible with DWARF2 .eh_frame from libMStarSDK.a(mapi_audio.o)

Note that I didn't touch that library. I recompiled libmwPVR.a
which is listed just before libMStarSDK.a on the link
command-line (between -Wl,--start-group / -Wl,--end-group)

Note that the project mixes C and C++ source files.

I read one of Ian's articles on .eh_frame:
http://www.airs.com/blog/archives/460

I think the DWARF2 mention is a red-herring, and I'd guess the
problem comes from the C and C++ mixing, not from debugging
symbols (but I may very well be wrong).

The linker is invoked through mips-linux-gnu-g++

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the link issue?

--
Regards.