Re: Spec strings to pass ‘-rpath’ for each ‘-L ’

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> The page at <http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html>, under “Dynamic linker is
> unable to find GCC libraries” reads:
>
>   The short explanation is that if you always pass a -R option to the
>   linker, your programs become dependent on directories which may be NFS
>   mounted [...]
>
>   However, if you feel you really need such an option to be passed
>   automatically to the linker, you may add it to a GCC specs file. [...]
>   You may add linker flags such as -R or -rpath, depending on platform
>   and linker, to the *link or *lib specs.
>
> After spending some time looking at spec strings and at the manual, I
> can’t think of a way of emitting ‘-rpath LIBDIR’ for every ‘-LLIBDIR’
> encountered.
>
> Am I missing something?

I don't think so.  I don't think there is a way to do that.

I think the FAQ is just suggesting adding -rpath options for a few
specific directories, not for every -L option.  That suggestion was in
particular intended to address issues with finding libstdc++.so at
runtime.

Ian