Re: Performance, for(int i...) vs for(i...)

On 8/26/2012 1:56 PM, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:
Tim Prince schrieb:
On 08/26/2012 11:30 AM, lab@kayohamid.net wrote:
Hello, I like performance, and until last month i follow what I see on the web to do better coding for performance, like:

- Avoid i++, use ++i and so on.

But now i'm using the assembly (-S) code generated to see if somethings is correct, and today i'm investigating this:

int i;
for(i = 0;....);

vs

for(int i = 0;...);

[...] It's probably important to continue to handle the declaration
outside the scope well, as that version is required for C source code
by Microsoft compilers, even VS2012.
I have had occasion to wish that people didn't rely on non-standard maybe Microsoft is right in forbidding both incorrect and correct C++
usage in C code.

It's all vanilla C99, no C++ is needed for that.

Just activate that language standard in your C compiler ;-)

Johann

Nothing wrong with maintaining compatibility with a widely marketed compiler, even if gcc does the job better.

--
Tim Prince