Re: Simple question

* Byron Blue:

> This is the question:
>  GCC uses the GNU license scheme. This operating system would be
> embedding in our industrial computers and I do not (of course) want
> the source code for our operating system to be open source - available
> to our competitors. The GNU site is not quite clear in this area and
> being new I would not want to "break the rules". Could I ask you for a
> bit of clarification on this issue?

Unless you take special precautions, GCC copies parts of itself into
compiled executables.  The compiled executables must therefore be
licensed in a way that is compatible with the GPL.  However, there is
an exception for many parts which can be copied in this way.  This
exception comes with a set of complex conditions:

  <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1.html>

Whether these exceptions apply in your case is hard to tell.  It is
unlikely that professional legal advice could give you a definitive
answer, either.

I'll ask the FSF to update the link Ian posted.