Re: Building and Installing gcc-4.7.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

On 7 June 2012 00:34, David Given wrote:

> Sure, but the build documentation still says that it should work. Given
> that srcdir == objdir is the standard usage pattern for configure
> scripts, I don't think anyone will be surprised that people will try it.
>
> This turns out not to have been the OP's problem anyway, but given the
> wiki page you pointed them at does state clearly that srcdir == objdir
> isn't supported, as does the FAQ entry, it would be nice if the actual
> build documentation said it too...

The wiki pages are not authoritative.

One key advantage of building outside the source directory (i.e. not
using ./configure) is that when you screw it up (and the people who
need those docs do screw it up, in ever more innovative ways) you can
delete the entire objdir and start again, nothing will foul up the
srcdir if you don't build in there.