Running the testsuite in parallel

Hello,

building gcc in parallel (make -j): works ok

installing gcc in parallel: not necessary (used to fail regularly, but I haven't tried recently)

running the testsuite in parallel: not so parallel

On an 8-core PC, for a c,c++ build, make -k -j check leaves the computer at least 60% idle (I looked at top periodically), and for a huge part of the time it uses at most 2 cores (and often only 1).

Since it looks like the testsuite is supposed to run in parallel, I wonder if I am doing it the wrong way, if there are options to pass or a different command to run?

--
Marc Glisse