Re: Object Code Portability from Intel 486 to PowerPC 7447

Hi Sami,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:43:06 +0500, Samiullah Khan wrote:
> We have an object code compiled on Intel 486 architecture. We want to
> know whether it is possible to port the code on PowerPC 7447 or not.
> If it is possible then how can we accomplish this? If not then what
> would be the other consideration? Would you please guide us in this
> regard?
>
> We look forward to hearing from you.

If you mean 'binary compatible', then the short answer is "no", however the word "impossible" should really be used with care...

A slightly longer and more correct answer is "yes, but it won't be an easy and quick task, depending on how big your object code is."

Apple made an emulator for their intel computers, which runs the PowerPC code in real-time, so that old PowerPC based software can run on the new intel-based Macs, just like they made a 680x0 emulator for their PowerMac series.
That would probably be one option.
A different option would be to convert the binary into PowerPC code by translating each instruction; this would be almost what an emulator would do, except from that it would be done once only.
Another option would be, to by hand disassemble the 486 code, then translate it into PowerPC code.

Best option would be if you have the C or C++ source code, and then re-compile that for the PPC.

If you choose to try doing that, you should definitely be aware of little- and big-endian issues.

Love,
Jens