Placement of mudflap passes

Hello Gcc Experts,

I am hoping this is the right forum to ask this question. Apologies otherwise.

I have been trying to understand the rationale behind the placement of
the two mudflap
passes. For pass1, I understand it has to be done before the gimple
lowering pass so
that BIND_EXPR's are still available for extracting the declarations.
However, I do not
understand why pass2 has to be placed where it is now. I'd appreciate if someone
can help me understand this. Thanks much!

-Zahed