Re: Help for a Dummy

On 1/30/2012 8:54 AM, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
Malcolm,

Since you're in a Windows environment, go check out Cygwin at
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin.  It's all precompiled binaries of the
GNU collection and other stuff setup for Windows.

-brian

On 1/30/12 6:43 AM, "Malcolm"<mjones_aus@exemail.com.au> wrote:

I am keen to install and use the GNU Fortran compiler for use with my
hydrologic research. I've left the Uni (retired) and don't have
access anymore to their resources.
However, I can't find a simple explanation of (a) what programs I
need to download (b) how I set them up on my PC (running Windows
7x64). (c) how I compile and run my fortran programs. I've scanned
the gcc.pdf&  gfortan.pdf, but they don't seem to help at all.
Can you please help me, or point me to someone/documentation that can?
thanks
Malcolm Jones

The Windows versions of gfortran aren't well written up. As Brian said, cygwin can be recommended. There you have several choices (all of them optional installations from cygwin setup):
gfortran: the 32-bit compiler which uses the cygwin libraries (runs fine on X64). This is part of the gcc which is supported by the cygwin mailing list. A special cygwin license governs your distribution of applications built this way.

x86_64-w64-mingw32-gfortran: a "cross compiler" for "native" 64-bit Windows, derived from the sourceforge mingw32 project. It links against .dlls which cygwin setup installs in
/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/
but there is no automatic library PATH setup, an obscure fact which I haven't seen documented. As far as I know, there is no help forum for these Windows cross compilers, but they are of reasonably high quality; even the OpenMP implementation has become satisfactory.

A similar cross compiler for native 32-bit Windows.

--
Tim Prince