control debug information source path

Hi, this is my first post in this forum; I am having problems with the stored
debugging information; I have 2 different platforms running gcc 4.1 and 4.6
which behave differently. In one, when I compile a binary using a static
library, the source files for the library are stored with their absolute
paths. this is useful because gdb then finds the source files automatically.
in the 4.1 platform (a rocks cluster with redhat) the source files info is
stored only by name, without paths. I know I could try to add the directory
for the source files with gdb, the problem is that the library is gsl and
the source files are in many subdirectories, making it problematic to
specify all of them to gdb. it would be great if I knew how to control
whether gcc stores absoulute source paths in the debugging information. is
this related to the debug format? when building my binary and gsl, I always
use the -g option, but since both platforms are linux they should be using
stabs according to the little I read.

Anyhow, I hope someone can point me in the right direction... thanks in
advance