Re: Error when compiling gcc-4.4.6 in linux

On 21 December 2011 00:02, kevin diggs wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@wippies.com> wrote:
>> 20.12.2011 23:15, kevin diggs kirjoitti:
>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Watson, Christa
>>>
>>> I've always found this "feature" confusing, too (to?).
>>

>> What really is confusing in them? That people don't know what gmp, mpfr
>> and mpc are, or don't expect their system yet having them? Let's see...
>>
> Hi,
>
> The "feature" I don't get is that I have told the gcc build where they
> are with the --with-gmp=<yadda,yadda> configure option. I don't fully
> understand why it can't find them later on. I believe the problem is
> the lack of using the option to embed library paths in built thingies
> (-R?). The reasoning I have never fully understood???
>
> I need to do more learnin' on the dynamic linker thingy. That is in
> libc, right? Any pointers to docs would be appreciated if anybody has
> them on the tips of their ... fingers.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq.html#faq.how_to_set_paths

When you link a program it links to some libraries, which means it
records in the program which libraries it requires. When you later
*run* the program the *runtime* linker (not the same as "ld") needs to
be able to find those same libraries.  The runtime linker, and the
libraries it looks for, has nothing to do with GCC. The fact that "ld"
could find those libraries at link-time does not mean the runtime
linker (not "ld") can find them again.