Re: make install fails due to "-Wno-overlength-strings"

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:34:23 -0500
Todd Sayers <tscoltrane@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm attempting to install gcc 4.3.6 on RHEL 5.5 x86_64 using the installed (default, from Redhat) gcc version 4.1.2.? Everything [except the `make install`] appears to work well.? Only the `make install` of gcc 4.3.6 fails.? It dies with this error:
>
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"
>
> gmp,mpfr, and mpc all compiled without error, passed `make check`, and were installed via `make install.`? There were no issues.? GCC 4.3.6 compiles without error (make) and passes almost 96,000 tests before `make check` dies (after >2hrs using -j4).? GCC 4.3.6 was configured
> with:
>
> ../gcc-4.3.6/configure --prefix=/foo/HPC_apps/AMD --with-gmp-lib=/foo/HPC_apps/AMD/lib --with-gmp-include=/foo/HPC_apps/AMD/include --with-mpfr-include=/foo/HPC_apps/AMD/include --with-mpfr-lib=/foo/HPC_apps/AMD/lib
>
> Please note that (per the instructions) I am NOT building in the source directory.? I Googled until I reached the end of the Internet... and, well, after that I decided to write this e-mail.? What gives?? Is there an environment variable that can be set to force gcc to not attempt to use this option (in the configure logs, it discovers that "-Wno-overlength-strings" is not an available option.? WTF?

We've run into this several times with 4.3.  Never did find a solution and
ended up going away with 4.4.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/241604

Comment 13 (which i sadly just noticed now):
Since this is the "make install" stage, there shouldn't be any recompilation
necessary, but in my log file, it shows that "Must remake target
`cc1-checksum.o'", which caused the compile error mentioned in the opening. The
interesting bit is that inside the work/build/gcc dir there is a
"cc1-checksum.c" file, but no .o nor executable was created for it (but
cc1plus-checksum.o does exist).

--
fonts, gcc-porting,                  it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets                           but i'll take it free anytime