Re: Compiling only libstdc++-v3 (with debugging symbols)

On 19 October 2011 20:53, Delcypher wrote:
> On 19 October 2011 17:50, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 October 2011 17:48, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? ?I've not heard of anyone trying to build only libstdc++ before,
>
> My reason is simply that I wanted libstdc++ with debugging symbols on
> my machine as my distro (Arch Linux) seems to strip them. It seems
> perfectly reasonable to me to want to build only libstdc++ and not the
> whole gcc project because building the whole project is a complete
> waste of time seeing as I already have the other binaries compiled on
> my system from my distribution's packages.

I understand that, and it is perfectly reasonable, but it's not a
common case, so changing the docs to support a rare use case doesn't
make a lot of sense.

If we documented every unusual scenario the docs would be cluttered
with info that's irrelevant to 99% of people.