Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 03:07 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:46 AM, newbieneedshelp <johnchong007@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > lol dude if you want me to install fedora 15, then i might as well just
> > upgrade my ubuntu which would be less annoying than install a fresh OS.
> Ubuntu 11 comes with GCC 4.5, not 4.6.

Ubuntu 11.04 comes with GCC 4.5
Ubuntu 11.10 comes with GCC 4.6

I'm not personally aware of any Ubuntu PPAs that provide newer GCC's for
older versions of Ubuntu, but it's worth a search.  If not, it's
possible you can get the DEB files from the newer Ubuntu and just
install them on your system; not sure.  Building GCC yourself from
source is not hard, though, especially if you have a simple situation
(building for your current system rather than cross compiling or
whatever).  If you decide to go down this path and get stuck, let me
know.  I've done it many times.

> On the bad, Ubuntu 11 has Unity - the finest netbook/tablet window
> manager money can't buy. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea
> to run it on desktops and servers by default, but what do I know....

What you don't know is anything about the person who asked the question
and what their tastes and preferences are in a desktop.  Surely you
don't believe everyone should simply agree with you?  Let's keep the
totally irrelevant personal polemics out of gcc-help.  Thanks!