Re: gcc section maping ROM/RAM for embedded target

Jon Grant <jg@jguk.org> writes:

> a) I would like to know if is possible to set a section prefix (or
> suffix) on all symbols.  I was hoping to find something like:
> --section-prefix=module_name ?  Then when compiling those object files
> and creating library my makefile would have passed that argument to
> gcc.

gcc does not support any such option.

Note that your linker script can assign input sections to output
sections using the name of the file in which the input section is
defined.  So you may be able to sort things out that way.

> b) is it possible overlay RAM section mapping? e.g. I have a two
> buffers for two different filesystems that are slightly different
> sizes. Only one filesystem will ever be active at the same time, so I
> would like to overlay these in the memory map, so that only the larger
> of the two areas is visible. Saving the smaller area from the memory
> map!

Look for OVERLAY in the linker documentation.

Ian