Number of significant characters in identifiers

Greetings -

We are evaluating some C code based on MISRA C:2004 standards, which state that "Identifiers (internal and external) shall not rely on the significance of more than 31 characters." The code uses a lot of internal identifiers that exceed the 31 character limit. The code is compiled with an old version of gcc, specifically version 2.96. From the documentation of the current version of gcc, we know that for all internal names, all characters are significant. Was this also the case for the older version of the compiler, even for the venerable old version 2.96? If so, is there some document that states this? (I can't find documentation that goes back to this old a version of the gcc.) Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

--
Regards,

Jeffrey D. Cherry
RSSA Technical Manager