Re: Do you want Yahoo search to return nothing? Try: ccgUBgHB.o

On 14 May 2011 11:22, ali hagigat wrote:
> I am using gcc, version 4.4.4. One file is always linked with any program:
> ccgUBgHB.o
> What does this file do? Google returns only one link for it as:
> http://www.tourismradio.co.za/penguin-festival-simonstown-october-2010.html?jnf660ae6d=584

Every program? Are you sure?

It looks like it's a randomly-generated name as used by gcc for the
output files. e.g. the compiler output is written to ccgUBgHB.s then
that is passed the assembler which outputs ccgUBgHB.o, which is passed
to the linker to produce the final executable.

When I run gcc with -v I see different names every time:
as --64 -o /tmp/cc2g8yvf.o /tmp/ccNAze7c.s
as --64 -o /tmp/ccMKIOxS.o /tmp/ccqs0ysr.s

If you really get the same name every time that might indicate your OS
has a rubbish source of randomness, or always returns the same string.

If my assumption is right then using -v should show you that the file
is actually the output of your program, not something external that is
being linked into your program.