Re: how-to, GCC installation

On 8 May 2011 11:39, JF MARQUET (Y) wrote:
> High
>
> I am not an expert...! But I try to install GCC on a small server
> (
> a "Q-ONE" from Memup Corrporation,
> the uname of this server is : Linux Q-ONE 2.6.15 #221 Wed Jun 10 14:43:33
> KST 2009 armv4l unknown
> its shell is transferred to a Busybox : BusyBox v1.00-rc3
> (2009.04.17-08:49+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
>
> Afetr GCC installation, I can try to install some other simpler software....
> )
>
> After 1 full day with constant failures, I perhaps understand that I cannot
> install GCC on a system with does not have already a minimal compiler
> installed......

Correct. That should be clear from the first item listed at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

> Then I hope it is possible to make a "remote installation" ?
> This idea because I also have a much better equipped LINUX PC connected to
> this server (built from UBUNTU distribution, and having GCC installed)
>
> Is it possible to "run" the installation of GCC on my server from my PC ?
> (using the parameter "target", may be ? What is the grammar for that ?

You need a cross-compiler, which will run on your PC but generate code
for your arm box.

You don't just run gcc with a target option, it needs to be an
entirely separate installation of gcc and it will only generate code
for arm.

You can probably install a cross-compiler from your distro's package
manager, look for a package called arm-gcc or arm-linux-gcc or
something like that.

> From google, I can see many people having the same problem : misleaded by
> the GCC installation instructions....

What part of the instructions is misleading?