crti.o: No such file: No such file or directory when compiling gcc 4.5.2

Hi.

I'm trying to complile gcc 4.5.2 (unless you suggest another version
for my dual-core atom based embedded linux NAS system).

This is the error I get:
/home/slug/optware/ts509/toolchain/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/i686-unknown-linux-gnu-ld: crti.o: No such file: No such file or directory

I did this in /opt/etc/gcc-4.5.2-build and gcc sources residing in
/opt/etc/gcc-4.5.2 with the command /opt/etc/gcc-4.5.2/configure
--prefix=/opt

crti.o is present in /opt/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/crti.o
and /opt/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/lib is provided inside /etc/ld.so.conf

I already tried the option --disable-multilib with no change.

Some information on my system:
present gcc: 4.2.1
kernel: 2.6.33.2

all of my software and libaries I installed on this embedded system
goes in /opt since there is no space on the main system, and /opt is
linked to /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/ (/share/MD0_DATA is the large
raid5 disk that the NAS provides).
The system is a gnap TS 459 Pro

The installed packaging system is ipkg with an available library of
packages coming from
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/unstable/

There you can read up on versions of packages available to me (and
partially instealled).

I already installed (that is, compiled myself) all of the dependancies
I could read up on. All that is required for building gcc (I think)
from the available packages, plus these compiled and installed from
source:
gmp-4.3.2, mpc-0.9, mpfr-3.0.1, ppl-0.11.2 and cloog-0.16.2
(perl was updated to version 5.12.3, also)

I also had to generate the required kernel headers myself,
by downloading kernel sources. To do this I followed instructions from
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/molli/molli-1.2/kapitel06/linux-headers.html
:

cd /opt/etc
# get kernel sources, extract and go to them
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.33.2.tar.bz2
tar -xf linux-2.6.33.2.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.6.33.2/
# check that there are no old files or dependancies from possible previous actions
make mrproper
# test and extract the kernel headers from the sources
# first store them in a local directory and then copied to the target directory
# otherwise the extaction process would overwrite existing files in the target directory
make headers_check &&
make INSTALL_HDR_PATH=dest headers_install &&
find dest/include \( -name .install -o -name ..install.cmd \) -delete &&
cp -rv dest/include/* /usr/include

Compiling something else with the already provided gcc 4.2.1 works,
but I like to have 4.5 or later which supports atom-specific flags and is more
current (I was told 4.2.x is rather buggy and I have a problem with
x264 latest version).

Here additonal information what I did:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=43340&p=192041#p192041

Can you please help me get gcc compiled correctly?

Thanx!