Running Different Compiler with gcc testsuite

Hello,

?? I've been trying to run the testsuite against a non-gcc C compiler. I've
tried setting various environment variables and modifying the Makefile(s), but
no matter what I do, xgcc is invoked. What are the steps to using the testsuite
with other C/C++ Linux based compilers?