Help on Gcov

Dear developers,

My name is Harry and I've been doing my master's degree at USP
(Universidade de São Paulo) here in Brazil. My thesis will address
about applying structural tests for embedded systems.
Then, for now, my activity is study and understand how the gcov works
(internally). I've never studied about it before, and I'm having some
problems.
I' have been researching on the Internet about the subject but I
couldn't find anything helpful, and so, I decided to contact you guys.
I saw that on GCC there are several sources related to the gcov:
- ?coverage
- ?gcov
- ?profile
- ?gcov-io
- ?libgcov

I don't understand how each one works and what are their responsibilities.
I need understand which function starts the Gcov process. Moreover, i
need to know which source is responsible for instrumenting the code..
and others things.
In short: I need to understand the internal behavior of gcov.

Could you help me with this issues? If you have some thing that could
help me, please send me. I'm thankful. :-)
Sorry if I'm bothering.

Best regards,
Harry