Re: use shared lib of libbackend.so

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:

> I'm kind of surprised that it is twice as slow. ?But it is true that on
> an ELF system shared libraries are always slower than static libraries,
> though the slowdown is normally more on the order of 5%.

Is this a characteristic of ELF? Or how 'most' processors have to
implement PIC in ELF (i.e. could a ... better designed processor have
the same performance?)?

> Disk prices have fallen so far that very few people are short on space
> these days. ?At least, they aren't short on space for the compiler which
> normally lives on a regular computer rather than, say, a phone. ?Does
> this really matter for you?

This IS still an issue for certain older systems. Like a Quadra 700 or
a PowerMac 8600, both of which use narrow SCSI for the 'root' disk
controller.

> Ian

Thanks!

kevin