Re: gcc --prefix in chrooted environment

Thanks Ian. So, in other words the prefix value is only used during
installation and then "forgotten" about, right?

It's not forgotten. It remains the default. But gcc will also try to
find the associated libraries, header files, etc., based on the location
of the gcc executable itself.
Right! Could this be changed *after* installing gcc (via the spec file perhaps)? If not, then I could think of another way which might do the trick - use the "correct" prefix (say /usr) and then when I do "make install" specify DESTDIR to point to my buildroot directory where I would keep all of the other programs and tools for my destination image. Would that work?

MZ