Re: building native cross compiler

You need to first build a vanilla
cross-compiler without building the library.
What does constitute a "vanilla cross-compiler"? Is this a "limited"
cross-compiler without the glibc dependencies (because that is the
only way I think possible to have glibc and a fully-fledged cross
compiler the way I want it)?

Yes, build just the compiler, and none of the libraries.
Hmm, that didn't go down well!

The crosstool.sh script is so outdated is unreal! I found it nigh impossible to use it in its present form, so I have to get what it does and, hopefully, adapt it. There are many things this script is trying to do and I am not sure I understand the reason for it. For example, before starting to build binutils it is trying to execute "make" in the main linux headers directory with ARCH specified and parameters "include/asm include/linux/version.h" (line 347) and that obviously fails as there isn't any target with that name. Why is it doing that it is a mystery to me! And why the hell do I need to execute "make oldconfig" in the main linux directory? I am not compiling the kernel (at least not yet).

One other thing is that ARCH named 'ppc' doesn't exist - it is 'powerpc' and that screws things up even more. The last error I've got after 'patching up' the above "problems" is that during the binutils build make fails as it is apparently looking for <build_arch>-ar which does not exist either. Things like that...

So, I'll have a more thorough look tomorrow to see whether I could do these things 'manually', but I am not at all hopeful.

Has this been done recently? I can't believe there is no methodology for this and I have to rely on a bloody script which has been last updated 6 years ago!!! Unreal!

MZ